Mermaid Toast w/ Gold Infused Honey Recipe
Posted by : Mary Wutz /
Image from @vibrantandpure
Yes, It’s real: Mermaid Toast. And it’s healthy to boot. This came as a huge surprise when I condescendingly scolded the social media agency that handles my accounts for including something so obviously artificial in the monthly calendar of upcoming content.
When the lovely girl who is in charge of my account assured me that everything they suggested for Instragram and Facebook is carefully selected to be in alignment with the brand’s values, I had to confirm for myself: Could something so beautiful and so ethereal as Mermaid toast be HEALTHY? And to my own surprise, she was right. Foot. In. Mouth.
As I read about this turquoise treat, I immediately wanted to try it myself. I recognized two of the main ingredients as incredible medicines and was thrilled that it was dairy free. Already a huge proponent of blue-green algae as a supplement and intrigued at the concept of ingesting gold, I researched more about this Instagram phenomenon and found a lot of information, but no recipe!
So, I was motivated to compile my own recipe for this magical toast AND provide the recipe so that my fellow mermaids could replicate and enjoy this beautiful treat!
Additionally, I decided to add a couple of twists: Macadamia Nut Cream Cheese and Thyme-Gold-Honey. Switching out almonds for macadamia nuts was in the spirit of using local foods (macadamia nuts are grown on Hawaii). The golden honey substitute was made to add medicinal value and a little sweetness to the recipe. Click on these links for some educational reading on the history and health benefits of edible gold flakes and blue-green algae so you can feel good about yourself and your breakfast while channeling your inner mermaid.
MARY’S MERMAID TOAST
- 2 cups Macadamia Nuts (Almonds work as well, get raw nuts if possible)
- 2 1/2 cups filtered water
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 3 probiotic capsules
- 1 tbsp. Blue Green Algae Powder 1 tbsp. Gold Thyme Honey
- 1 slice of toast
- Cheese cloth or nut milk bag
- Really good food processor or blender
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cup
- Honey Dipper
- Place nuts, coconut oil and 2 cups of water in the blender or food processor
- Blend until super-creamy (a few minutes in a Vita-Mix)
- Open probiotic capsules, dissolve in 1/2 cup of warm water
- Pour water/probiotics into nuts and stir
- Pour mixture into nut milk bag
- Twist the top of the bag and place into strainer
- Place bowls/random dishes on top to press down cheese
- Allow to sit in a warm, dry location for 24 hours
- Remove from bag and place in fridge until chilled.
- Remove from fridge and place ¼ cup of less of cream cheese into a bowl
- Add ¼ tsp. Blue-Green Algae powder on top of the cream cheese and mix.
- Spread 2 tbsps. or amount of your choice onto toast
- Sprinkle a small pinch of Blue-Green Algae powder on top of cream cheese
- Use Spatula to spread additional powder into cream cheese for added texture and color.
- Use a Honey Dipper to drizzle honey over toast.
*Take care in researching the source and integrity of all your ingredients. This is especially important when it comes to blue-green algae powder. Two sources I trust for quality control and testing are: Health Force Nutritionals & Klamath Blue Green