DIY Organic Deodorant- That Actually Works!
Posted by : Mary Wutz /
As a self-proclaimed product enthusiast and canary of sorts, I’ve purchased more organic and natural beauty products than I care to admit. Always in search of products that cause zero reactions in my body, use the most organic, high quality and effective ingredients, I’ve done my share of product research. One of the most difficult beauty products I’ve been on the search for is organic deodorant that actually works.
My first deodorant love affair was with Weleda Deodorant. This worked when I was living in the Pacific Northwest and wasn’t as worried about dampness control. The essential oils and salt blend work to kill bacteria, but not necessary to stop wetness.
Then I moved to Hawaii and knew I needed something more serious than salt and essential oils. I found Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant shortly after my move and thought, “This is it.” Unfortunately, I ended up with a nasty rash in my armpits due to the baking soda ingredient after about a month, which itched and had the appearance of a second-degree burn.
Finally last winter, a dear friend and fellow natural product enthusiast heard me complaining to our other friend about my organic deodorant woes. She came over with the biggest eyes and smile on her face and said, “Have you heard of Routine?” I swear by it and will never go back to using anything else!” It’s been a year and I have to say, Routine Deodorant out of Canada has my hands down vote for best natural deodorant on the market. Not only does it have all the right ingredients- it has the right proportions in the recipe. The only downside of this magical product is cost.
In order to support my Routine habit, I decided to experiment with the listed ingredients on the jar and create my own. Below is the recipe I’ve come up from my Routine explorations:
- 4 tbsp. organic virgin coconut oil — a great natural antibacterial (If you notice the deodorant is at all flaky on the skin, you may add more coconut oil as needed.)
- 1 tbsp. organic olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Vitamin E Salve
- 2 tbsp. organic baking soda — neutralizes pH and body odor (omit if you have super sensitive skin and replace with more arrowroot powder)
- 3 tbsp. arrowroot — absorbs perspiration
- 2 tbsp. Kaolin clay — adds extra wetness protection
- by whisking away sweat, and pulls toxins from skin
- 2-3 Probiotic Capsules, self stable (optional)
- 20 drops essential oil (optional but highly suggested) — a potent antibacterial. I like to use 10 drops Ylang Ylang, 5 drops bitter orange, and 5 drops vanilla essential oil.
- Melt coconut oil and olive oil in a double boiler over medium heat until barely melted. Add Vitamin E Salve at the last minute.
- Remove from heat and add arrowroot, baking soda, and probiotic capsules (optional).
- Add essential oils for added medicinal value and pour into a glass container for storage. It does not need to be stored in the fridge.
- My favorite E.O. Blend is the following:
- 10 Drops Ylang Ylang
- 5 Drops Sweet Orange
- 5 Drops Vanilla
Would love your feedback after trying this recipe. Hope it works for you as well as it works for me! Happy mixing <3